Variant recently closed our second institutional, first-check crypto fund investing in the ownership economy. We are scaling our investment team to keep pace with rapid growth in the space.
Variant is a startup, and we are looking for a tenacious, low-ego, empathetic partner who is willing to roll up their sleeves to grow in the role and help grow the firm. You’ll gain a unique experience working closely with Li, Spencer, Jesse—the firm’s co-founders, GPs, and growing investment team—in order to help cement our position as the marquee seed fund for supporting builders in crypto at the earliest possible stages.
What is an Investment Partner at Variant Fund?
As a Data Scientist on the investment team, you’ll work closely with GPs and the investment team to analyze opportunities throughout the life of the investment process: from sourcing, diligence, informing our investment decisions, to portfolio support. The candidate should be excited to do rigorous, structured, and creative, first-principles analysis of projects and trends at the bleeding edge of crypto. To succeed in the role, the candidate needs to be adept in statistics & modeling, highly organized, able to context-switch effectively, have extreme attention to detail, and most importantly, be a first principles thinker who can synthesize their ideas concisely in writing and in small, group settings.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Sourcing new investment opportunities using on-chain metrics as well as off-chain data sources (e.g. Twitter).
- Conducting deep investment diligence using on-chain metrics and fundamental analysis.
- Analyzing and modeling growth potential based on historical data and industry-specific metrics.
- Developing expertise and points of view on market categories: why we should invest in a particular category and the thesis on characteristics of a desirable investment.
- Deep involvement in the community: meeting other investors and data scientists, cultivating networks of entrepreneurs, spending time in online communities, etc. — with an aim towards identifying signals and parsing the best opportunities to surface to the investment team.
- Synthesize investment research and support recommendations via written investment memos and/or presentations.
- Interface regularly with builders post-investment in order to support the portfolio, as well as determine future follow-on investment. opportunities may exist.
- Building a profile around public thinking that develops your personal brand, and makes you a magnet for entrepreneurs.
QUALIFICATIONS (NEED TO HAVE)
- Demonstrated passion for crypto investing and the ownership economy.
- Extracting and structuring Web3 data from scratch, leveraging a variety of tools (e.g. Dune, The Graph) and working across multiple blockchain platforms.
- Previous experience with software engineering, data science, statistics, Python, or R
- High EQ and ability to build and cultivate a network of long-term relationships.
- Understanding of on-chain metrics and fundamental investing frameworks.
- Be excited to interface with some of crypto’s most knowledgeable founders, builders, researchers, and independent analysts.
- Intellectually curious: eager and able to learn new concepts and frameworks and keep on top of a rapidly-evolving space.
- Ability to quickly synthesize complex, disparate sources of information and form a point of view.
- Ability to communicate concisely, in writing as well as 1:1 and in group settings.
- Thrive off of new ideas and push our thinking through rigorous and structured processes.
- Extreme attention to detail, with the ability to switch contexts gracefully.
- Be a detail-oriented self-starter, intellectually curious, with strong, demonstrated organizational and communication skills.
- Able to operate independently at a high level with limited oversight.
- High-energy, high integrity. We need a team player that is willing to roll up their sleeves and get things done and get them done right the first time, every time.
- Demonstrated history of being an ‘owner’ or high-level of initiative in a prior activity.
About Variant Fund
Variant is a first-check crypto fund investing in the ownership economy. We are remote-first and welcome candidates distributed in the U.S. We provide competitive salaries and benefits including:
- Premium health/dental coverage.
- Generous PTO.
- Opportunity to grow alongside a leading firm in a fast-growing market.
- Energetic, kind and mission-driven co-workers.