What does an Infrastructure Investment Partner do?
As a member of the investment team, you’ll work closely with Jesse, Li and the other IPs to research and analyze investment opportunities, with a focus on the infrastructure that powers new applications being built in web3 (e.g. novel execution environments, consensus mechanisms, zero knowledge technology, interoperability protocols, etc.). You’ll be responsible for:
- Interfacing with founders, builders, researchers, and independent analysts.
- Conducting deep technical diligence on new investment opportunities.
- Developing an authoritative point of view on individual projects and the categories of web3 infrastructure that they are building within, resulting in meaningful contributions to our theses on the characteristics of a desirable investment.
- Presenting analysis to the investment team in verbal and written research reports and investment recommendations.
- Sourcing new investment opportunities by meeting entrepreneurs through involvement in the crypto community, cultivating a network of researchers, builders and other investors.
- Leveraging expertise to help builders in our portfolio post-investment.
Qualifications (Need to Have)
- 4+ years of experience in an applied CS role or graduate program, focused on relevant “hard tech” disciplines such as cryptography or distributed systems.
- A native understanding or deep curiosity for web3.
- Ability to quickly synthesize disparate sources of deeply technical information and form a point of view, then communicate it concisely both in writing and in meetings.
- High-energy, high-integrity, with demonstrated history of being an ‘owner.’
Additional Qualifications (Nice to Have)
- Deep intellectual curiosity: you are eager and able to learn new concepts and frameworks and keep on top of a rapidly-evolving space.
- Confidence to push our team’s thinking and deliver compelling arguments.
- Be a detail-oriented self-starter, with strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to switch contexts gracefully.
- Ability to operate independently at a high level with limited oversight.
- High EQ and ability to build and cultivate a network of long-term relationships.
About Variant Fund
Variant is a seed-stage fund investing in web3. We are remote-first and welcome candidates distributed in the U.S. We provide competitive salaries and benefits including:
- Premium health/dental coverage
- Generous PTO
- Opportunity to grow alongside a leading firm in a fast-growing market
- Energetic, kind and mission driven co-workers.